What to do when a parent does not want to be involved?

On behalf of Stange Law Firm, PC posted in Child Custody on Wednesday, October 24, 2018.

If you have gotten a divorce in Missouri or otherwise are no longer together with your child’s other parent, you may run into times when that parent does not want to be involved in your child’s life. This might include not wanting to have visitation, not engaging with the child on any level or foregoing responsibilities and leaving parenting completely up to you. This is a difficult situation for you and your child. How you handle it has a huge impact and could define the parent-child relationship between you and your child and the other parent and your child. However, there are some things you can try to do to remedy the situation and make it easier.

The main thing to do, according to Very Well Family, is to communicate about visitation issues. This means talking to the other parent. Find out why he or she is not involved. Be open and try to not be combative. If you are accusing and negative, the other parent may not want to talk to you. You need to get information so you can see if you can fix whatever is wrong. For example, sometimes a parent may have scheduling issues. Perhaps the other parent has had a change in hours at work and just cannot get your child at the designated times.

Regardless of the reason, you should go to the court and ask for an update or change to your parenting plan that reflects the issues. If, for example, the visitation times do not work for the other parent, then you could ask that the court changes them to times when visitation is possible. This information is for education and is not legal advice.

Related Posts

Estate Planning for Unmarried Couples

Estate planning provides substantial benefits for many individuals, including married couples, individuals, and those with children. Unmarried couples have a significant reason to create a

Read More