Handling a former spouse’s refusal to pay spousal support

On behalf of Stange Law Firm, PC posted in Child & Spousal Support on Sunday, June 18, 2017.

From child support to the distribution of a couple’s marital property, there are a wide variety of family law matters that arise in Springfield, and across all of Missouri. However, spousal support can be especially tricky for different reasons. For example, a former spouse may not want to fulfill their obligations because they are bitter with their former marital partner. At Stange Law Firm, we know how these issues can impact entire families and believe it is essential for people on all sides of these disputes to strive for a healthy outcome.

If your former spouse is not paying his or her spousal support, you may want to try talking with them. Unfortunately, this often does little to encourage them to start fulfilling their obligations. Sometimes, people going through these challenges decide to take their case to court. If you are thinking about taking this action, it is vital to make sure that you are prepared. On the other hand, some spouses are unable to continue paying alimony because they were laid off or are going through financial hardships for another reson. It should also be noted that some people facing these hurdles are able to modify their spousal support order, which can be beneficial for both parties since they will be able to stay current on their payments.

Although these types of problems can be emotionally draining, you should try to lower your level of stress. If you go over to our spousal support section, you can read about different topics related to this aspect of family law.

Related Posts

Estate Planning for Unmarried Couples

Estate planning provides substantial benefits for many individuals, including married couples, individuals, and those with children. Unmarried couples have a significant reason to create a

Read More